Lowering Energy Costs Since 2008
Blue Ocean Energy Management was founded in 2008 by Uffe Bo Petersen, Bill Curra and Alison Petersen. Their combined 40+ years of energy experience in the complementary fields of energy trading, engineering and real-estate, is an advantaged background to navigate the complexities of today’s energy environment.
MBA, GRI®, CEA®, LEED Green Associate
President and Co-Founder Alison works closely with the commercial real estate and commercial building industries to ensure that Blue Ocean's services solve real-world problems and are structured to benefit both building owners and tenants. Alison is a Certified Energy Auditor (CEA®) a professional certification earned from the Association of Energy Engineers and LEED Green Associate a credential signifying core competency in green building principles.
With a background in Real Estate, Alison is a certified Texas Realtor® with a Graduate, REALTOR® Institute (GRI) credential. Alison holds an undergraduate degree from The University of Texas at Austin and M.B.A. from The University of Houston. Blue Ocean is designated by the State of Texas as a Historically-Underutilized Business (HUB) and by the City of Austin’s Woman-Owned Business Enterprise.
Alison has been appointed to the 2021 BOMA Austin Board of Directors as Education Champion after serving as Sustainability Committee Chair. Additionally Alison serves as member of the BOMA International Energy and Environment Committee.
Community service is important to Alison having served as PTA Treasurer, Community Advisory Council (CAC) and Board Member for various schools in Austin. Alison continues her interest in education by supporting the Austin Energy All Stars Program where she presents this Austin Energy energy efficiency program to 6th graders in Austin.
Highlights of Alison’s experience include:
- Extensive understanding and experience with the EPA's Portfolio Manager database including benchmarking properties.
- Analyzing utility bills, Power Factor and Peak Demand for each client and turning this analysis into actionable recommendations.
- Managed to completion over 2,000 Austin Energy ECAD audits, establishing Blue Ocean as Austin’s largest provider of ECAD services for commercial buildings in excess of 10,000 ft2.
- Expert in analyzing energy load real-time monitoring results and establishing recommendations for operational changes which reduce energy and improve building performance.
- Experience in real estate services and communicating with tenants.
- Realized LEED Gold EB O+M v 4.1 Certification for almost 1 million square feet of commercial real estate space - the latest USGBC version of reporting.
Contact Alison at AWP@Blueoceanenergy.net or 512-981-9992 (cell).
Brandy Holland, PMP, PE
Data Management/ Analysis Brandy is a highly-skilled data management/analysis professional with proficiency in software programs commonly used by Austin Energy. Trained as a petroleum engineer with experience with complex reservoir modeling and analysis software, Brandy has supported Blue Ocean’s energy management data analysis projects since 2017. She has worked with Blue Ocean’s proprietary Excel-based energy rate analysis tool to analyze energy costs for multiple clients within Austin Energy’s service area. As a result, Brandy has a deep understanding of Austin Energy’s rate structure and energy conservation incentive programs. Her data management and analysis skills have also been applied to Blue Ocean’s ECAD work for commercial clients, making Blue Ocean the #1 provider of ECAD services to Austin’s commercial sector.
Highlights of Brandy’s experience include:
- Built a database for 12 AISD school’s interval data and analyzed for energy efficiency improvements.
- ENERGY STAR Certification
- LEED Certification specializing in IAQ and ASHRAE energy audits
Contact Brandy at: BFH@blueoceanenergy.net
Uffe Bo Petersen, MBA, CEM
Executive Vice President and Co-Founder As a founding partner of Blue Ocean Energy Management, Bo provides experience and insight from his entire career spent in the energy industry. For Exxon, Enron and Borealis, Bo managed domestic and international energy trading programs for energy risk management and to hedge future energy costs. Bo is a Certified Energy Manager (CEM), a professional certification earned from the Association of Energy Engineers. Bo also earned his Bachelor's in Business Administration from the University of Texas with a focus on strategic energy management. Subsequently, Bo earned his M.B.A. from the Copenhagen Business School. Bo works closely with Blue Ocean’s clients to develop comprehensive energy management strategies designed to save energy costs, thereby contributing to a more profitable project.
Highlights of Bo’s experience include:
- Identified over $700,000 in utility overcharges for an Austin-based commercial client by reviewing utility bill history and documenting specific billing inaccuracies.
- Used Load Profiler software to identify anomalies in an Austin-based commercial property’s electrical usage to identify excessive weekend electricity usage. Pinpointed wastage to improperly programmed controls. Client continues to save over 15% a year based on easily-corrected operational problems.
- Designed a cost-effective sub-metering program, using web-connected clamp-on load monitors to identify and correct expensive “demand charges” for Blue Ocean clients.
- In the past 2 years, our top ten clients have reduced energy consumption by 4.5 million kWh OR an average of $15,000 a month, per client , far exceeding the fees we charge.
Contact Bo at: BP@Blueoceanenergy.net or 512-981-9999 (cell)
Mars has spent a number of years as an embedded engineer, developing hardware, firmware, and software for Internet of Things (IoT) devices. He is happy to bring his technical savvy to bear on tackling energy efficiency in creative ways.
Kim has a PhD in mechinical engineering, experience as a software developer, and has most recently worked as a data scientist. He has experience in collecting and cleaning large datasets and uses statistical analysis and visualizations to gain insights. In addition, he utilizes predictive modeling based on machine learning algorithms.
Kris S. Dudley
Kris brings thirty two years of public-sector experience in policy development, program management and technical assistance provision to the Blue Ocean team. She is an expert in benchmarking reporting processes at Blue Ocean Energy and understands the requirements for compliance for each market.
Laura L. Levack
Technical Writer and Benchmarking Services
Laura is an expert in tenant communications and benchmarking services. Laura additionally ensures that all Blue Ocean deliverables are written and assembled with the highest professional standard. She provides quality control for all written material, reports, advertising and marketing material.
Leah is a senior undergraduate geology student at the University of Texas at Austin. She also works as a Research assistant at the Jackson School of Geosciences. Leah has a passion for sustainability and policy change. She has been with Blue Ocean since 2019. At Blue Ocean, Leah works on ensuring clients’ compliance with local and state ordinances.
Jennifer Carter, IIDA, LEED AP
Jennifer is a registered commercial Interior Designer and LEED Accredited Professional with 23 years of experience leading clients, teams, and projects of all types to success. She has a broad overview of how buildings operate and brings sustainability strategy and project management services to the Blue Ocean team. She shares a passion for helping organizations with energy efficiency and cost savings.
Special Advisor for Building Management Systems, Advisory Board
Sverrir is a founding partner of a consulting firm in Reykjavík Iceland. He has worked as a software analyst and programmer as well as a venture capitalist. He assists Blue Ocean Energy with programming and software management, not to mention strategic development.
Building Operations Manager
Soren as a Building Operations Manager is utilizing his extensive experience as a marine engineer. Soren assists Blue Ocean Energy clients by finding the most efficient and sustainable ways to operate buildings. Soren is a master-auditor in the use of energy and is expert at suggesting ways to improve these types of systems. Soren is well-versed in energy efficiency applied to building design, HVAC systems, lighting and refrigeration and is able to recommend ways to both reduce energy loads and increase efficiency of current systems.
Don't Be Shy. Get In Touch.
Call or email us anytime, and we’ll get right back to you.