Lowering Energy Costs Since 2008
Blue Ocean Energy Management was founded in 2008 by Uffe Bo Petersen, Bill Curra and Alison Petersen. Their combined 40+ years of energy experience in the complementary fields of energy trading, engineering and real-estate, is an advantaged background to navigate the complexities of today’s energy environment.
Alison Ward Petersen, MBA, GRI, CEA
President and Co-Founder Alison’s real estate, business and energy background demonstrates to our clients that Blue Ocean Energy Management understands our clients’ business models, and structures our energy management services to add value to our clients’ projects. A member of the Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) and Austin Association of Facility & Maintenance Engineers (AAFAME), Alison works closely with the commercial real estate and commercial building industry to ensure that our services solve real world problems and are structured to benefit both building owners and tenants. Alison’s deep understanding of compliance and benchmarking services, specifically Austin Energy’s annual ECAD Compliance Audit program, enables our clients to actually benefit, not just merely comply with their annual obligation.
Alison holds a Master in Business Administration, is a Certified Texas Realtor® and a Certified Energy Auditor (CEA®) from the Association of Energy Engineers. Alison is additionally the Vice-Chair of BOMA Austin's Sustainability Committee for 2018.
Highlights of Alison’s experience include:
- Extensive understanding and experience with the EPA's Portfolio Manager database including benchmarking properties.
- Analyzing utility bills, Power Factor and Peak Demand for each client and turning this analysis into actionable recommendations.
- Managed to completion over 900 Austin Energy ECAD audits, establishing Blue Ocean as Austin’s largest provider of ECAD services for commercial buildings in excess of 10,000 ft2.
- Expert in analyzing energy load real-time monitoring results and establishing recommendations for operational changes which reduce energy and improve building performance.
- Experience in real estate services and communicating with tenants.
Contact Alison at AWP@Blueoceanenergy.net or 512-981-9992 (cell).
David Donohue, EEP
Vice President Business Development David brings over 30 years’ experience working with businesses and public agencies on environmental compliance, energy management and sustainability issues with the globally-recognized firm of Ecology and Environment, Inc. and the specialty consulting firm Agro-City, Inc. David’s clients included Fortune 500 companies, major municipalities, financial institutions, and federal/state agencies. David now works with Blue Ocean’s clients to ensure that services align productively with our clients’ business models to achieve positive results for shareholders and stakeholders alike.
Highlights of David’s experience include:
- Provided historical energy analysis to support an investment grade energy audit for four State of Texas buildings under a subcontract to Performance Services Inc., a nation-wide ESCO firm.
- Supports all types of energy audits for all types of commercial properties including schools, shopping centers, office buildings and campuses. Services include site visits, utility invoice analysis, real-time monitoring of major loads followed with analysis, recommendations and report writing.
- Works with utility providers to acquire rebates for Blue Ocean clients who implement qualifying energy savings measures.
- Develops performance-based contracts to offer Blue Ocean Energy clients a low-risk incentive to implement strategic Energy Management Plans.
- Provides business development strategic plans and implements these plans.
- Certified Energy Efficiency Practitioner with the Association of Energy Engineers.
Contact David at: DD@Blueoceanenergy.net or 512-673-3332 (cell).
Uffe Bo Petersen, MBA, CEM
Executive Vice President and Co-Founder As a founding partner of Blue Ocean Energy Management, Bo provides experience and insight from his entire career spent in the energy industry. For Exxon, Enron and Borealis, Bo managed domestic and international energy trading programs for energy risk management and to hedge future energy costs. Bo is a Certified Energy Manager (CEM), a professional certification earned from the Association of Energy Engineers. Bo also earned his Bachelor's in Business Administration from the University of Texas with a focus on strategic energy management. Subsequently, Bo earned his M.B.A. from the Copenhagen Business School. Bo works closely with Blue Ocean’s clients to develop comprehensive energy management strategies designed to save energy costs, thereby contributing to a more profitable project.
Highlights of Bo’s experience include:
- Identified over $700,000 in utility overcharges for an Austin-based commercial client by reviewing utility bill history and documenting specific billing inaccuracies.
- Used Load Profiler software to identify anomalies in an Austin-based commercial property’s electrical usage to identify excessive weekend electricity usage. Pinpointed wastage to improperly programmed controls. Client continues to save over 15% a year based on easily-corrected operational problems.
- Designed a cost-effective sub-metering program, using web-connected clamp-on load monitors to identify and correct expensive “demand charges” for Blue Ocean clients.
- In the past 2 years, our top ten clients have reduced energy consumption by 4.5 million kWh OR an average of $15,000 a month, per client , far exceeding the fees we charge.
Contact Bo at: BP@Blueoceanenergy.net or 512-981-9999 (cell)
Laura L. Levack
Technical Writer and Benchmarking Services
Laura is an expert in tenant communications and benchmarking services. Laura additionally ensures that all Blue Ocean deliverables are written and assembled with the highest professional standard. She provides quality control for all written material, reports, advertising and marketing material.
Director of Commercial HVAC Services and Building Operations
Paul Kuhn serves as Director of HVAC Services at Blue Ocean Energy. Paul has over three decades of extensive experience in design, installation and service of large-scale, commercial HVAC systems. As former owner/manager of an Austin-based commercial HVAC service company, Paul brings unmatched knowledge and experience to Blue Ocean’s projects for evaluating commercial HVAC systems.
Kris S. Dudley
Kris brings thirty two years of public-sector experience in policy development, program management and technical assistance provision to the Blue Ocean team. She is an expert in benchmarking reporting processes at Blue Ocean Energy and understands the requirements for compliance for each market.
Kim D. Sorensen, Ph.D.
Director of Information Technologies & Modeling
Dr. Sorensen is in charge of Energy-modeling, building simulations and statistical modeling for Blue Ocean. Dr. Sorensen holds a PhD in Mechanical Engineering from Aalborg University, Denmark and MS in Mechanical Engineering from the Technical University of Denmark.
Manager of Operations
John’s extensive experience as a Marine Engineer brings unmeasurable knowledge to Blue Ocean Energy. His ship-board time was spent overseeing the maintenance and repair of the main and auxiliary engines, as well as the steam, refrigerant, power-generation, electrical and fuel-oil optimization systems. For Blue Ocean Energy, John oversees the installation of real-time monitoring equipment, along with day to day load measurement as he is an expert when it comes to electrical equipment and energy efficiency measurement equipment.
Brady Zaitoon, P.E., LEED AP
Brady graduated from the Cockrell School of Engineering at the University of Texas in Austin. Brady ran his own successful sustainability consulting firm for 8 years, specializing in commissioning of commercial buildings and HVAC systems. In fact, Brady has acted as a Commissioning Agent for over 30 projects, ranging from stand-along healthcare facilities and commercial buildings to high-end restaurants. Working in Commercial, Multi Family and residential building sectors, Brady is familiar with a multitude of sustainability rating systems. Brady worked on large scale developments such as The W Hotel and Fairmont Hotel, helping to meet the progressive energy standards set by the city.
Special Advisor for Building Management Systems, Advisory Board
Sverrir is a founding partner of a consulting firm in Reykjavík Iceland. He has worked as a software analyst and programmer as well as a venture capitalist. He assists Blue Ocean Energy with programming and software management, not to mention strategic development.
Building Operations Manager
Soren as a Building Operations Manager is utilizing his extensive experience as a marine engineer. Soren assists Blue Ocean Energy clients by finding the most efficient and sustainable ways to operate buildings. Soren is a master-auditor in the use of energy and is expert at suggesting ways to improve these types of systems. Soren is well-versed in energy efficiency applied to building design, HVAC systems, lighting and refrigeration and is able to recommend ways to both reduce energy loads and increase efficiency of current systems.
Don't Be Shy. Get In Touch.
Call or email us anytime, and we’ll get right back to you.